Saturday 20 March 2010

A new demo and tonight's show...

Word

I thought i'd put up the demo I did last Sunday afternoon on the blog. It took me a long time to get my head around this tune. It was written very late at night and I was in a pretty strange state of mind and if I'm honest I was kinda weirded out by it. This recording this demo really saved it from a scrapheap fate. I'm really pleased with the general feel of it and it has secured its place as a regular addition to the set. I hope you like it. If you listen to the end of the tune carefully, you can hear the birds singing outside the window of my living room.


Hope Mill!

Tonight I'll be playing Hope Mill supporting Paper Boats, a really incredible band and the new project of Manchester singer-songwriter Petty Thief, who I have already mentioned as one of my favourite songwriters on the Manchester circuit at the minute. I heard Paper Boats soundcheck at the Night And Day several months ago and they were already tight as fuck so tonight should be a blinder.

The show at the Bay Horse was a lot of fun, but a bit of a circus. I put this partly down to an extra glass or two of wine on my part, but the sound was fairly messy as well. Its a really promising night with really lovely promoters and I guess they're still finding their feet. You could say the same of me. Eleanor Lou (who I used to play keys for) supported, and she's sounding really great. She has a really strong instinctive sense of melody and I miss laying the piano on for her. The other band was a group of three guys called Films, and they were also interesting. I'd like to see how their kinda garagey choral sound develops.

Don't hold your breath or anything, but...

There's some talk of a solo EP soon. I haven't given up on a band record at some point but doing a strong set of recordings of what I'm doing on my own feels like the right thing for where I'm at at the minute. I'd love to get back into the studio again. Recording is one of my favourite things in the world. It'll be nice to be able to be helped toward a much more considered aesthetic with the sound in that kind of environment. I may be able to do it to tape as well, which appeals to me a lot as a total vintage gear fetishist. The talks about it have been so preliminary I don't want to commit to even the vaguest of timelines, but it shouldn't take so long. I'll keep y'all informed from the blog.

Jo
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment